Saturday, January 14, 2006

A new battle for hurt soldier

Can we stop this madness please? From today's Albany Times Union:

A new battle for hurt soldier
Injured in Iraq, Lansingburgh private has long recovery ahead

By TIM O'BRIEN, Staff writer
Click byline for more stories by writer.
First published: Saturday, January 14, 2006

TROY -- Army Pfc. Marissa Strock, the Lansingburgh woman seriously wounded in a Thanksgiving Day attack in Iraq, is still

[text missing from on-line version of report]

Now, Strock is undergoing surgery every few days and withstanding grueling physical therapy to battle back from her combat injuries.

Her mother, Sandra Ogden, is by her side at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

"She's hanging in there. She's got a long fight ahead of her," Ogden said Friday. "She woke up from her coma 2 weeks ago. It was kind of sketchy how much of her we'd get back. She's barking orders at everybody, so we know she's doing fine."

Strock, 20, lost her left leg below the knee, and doctors are fighting to save her right leg.

She told her mother she wanted people to know she is "doing fine and she wants to thank everybody for their support."

Strock serves with the Army's 170th Military Police Company, 504th Military Police Battalion, 42nd Military Police Brigade, based in Fort Lewis, Wash.

The 2003 Lansingburgh High School graduate was riding in a Humvee on Thanksgiving Day with two other soldiers. A bomb exploded beneath their vehicle. Strock was riding in the gun turret.

"The blast was so strong it sent her flying," Ogden said. "It separated the top of the Humvee from the bottom, sent her flying back 30 meters."

She broke her right arm in multiple places, as well as her collarbone and shoulder blade. The other two soldiers were killed.

"She doesn't remember the blast at all, which is a blessing at this point," her mother said.

Strock likely will remain at Walter Reed for a year, and her mother plans to be there with her. Ogden credits her employer, a medical case management company called The Reed Group, with granting her the time to be with her daughter.

"I'm here until I bring her home," she said.

Strock is undergoing minor surgery every three to four days, her mother said, and she gets regular physical therapy.

"It's grueling," Ogden said. "It's hard for me to watch."

The soldier spends her time in a hospital bed or a wheelchair.

Her family, including her father, Thomas Strock, has been with her regularly.

"We have family come down to break it up over the weekend," her mother said.

She is at a loss when asked if there is anything her daughter needs. "I am trying to get her a collection of movies and CDs," her mother said, a little entertainment for the long hospital stay ahead.

O'Brien can be reached at 454-5096 or by e-mail at

No comments: